"We do not remember days, we remember moments." Cesare Pavese

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Guesting for Color Throwdown #359!!

Hey friends!!  Today I'm guesting over on the Color Throwdown challenge blog... YAY!!  The color combo is a fun one of light, dark blue, orange and kraft.    I decided to go outside my box and do some water coloring.   I'm not kidding when I tell you that this card took me two days to make... two days, lol!!  That was because I wanted to make sure my water colored piece was completely dry before I completed it.  I also spent a good deal of time making sure I created a piece that I was happy with.  I started by spritzing my water color paper (Ranger/Tim Holtz distress water color paper) in one corner and then adding the light blue color using my Kuretake Gansai Tambi water color paints.  I let that dry a bit and then moved onto the stamping portion.  The current Essentials by Ellen challenge is the "Mix it Up" challenge.  That means you need to mix your Essentials by Ellen products with those from another company.  This month it is Impression Obsession.  I own exactly one IO product... the large feather die.  Initially I wanted to use it as a stencil but after trying it I decided I really didn't like the look.  The next option... cut a feather an pop it on the card, but I didn't want that either.   What to do... what to do??  Then it hit me... use the die to create a stamp.  So that's what I did.  I die cut the feather from some thick fun foam, inked it up with dark blue ink, spritzed the "stamp" and water color paper with water and stamped my feather!  Love how it turned out.  Some splatters of orange water color paint finished off my panel.  Once it was dry I die cut it using an Avery Elle die.   The Essentials by Ellen product I used is the Be-you-tiful die.  I cut it from a panel I had water colored, but then ruined, and from kraft cardstock.  The two where adhered with the kraft slightly off set.  To bring in more orange I added a nest of orange hemp twine and adhered the die cut sentiment on top.  Mounted the panel on a kraft card base and then added a few wooden stars.   I also going to enter this into the current Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge:  stamps and dies.   I put a bit of a twist on the idea by using my die to cut a stamp so hopefully that counts.


Thanks for stopping by today...

Supplies:  Cardstock:  PTI kraft; Tim Holtz/Ranger water color paper; Inks:  Stampin Up! Night of Navy; Paints:  Kuretake Gansai Tambi; Studio Calico wooden stars; Dies:  Essentials by Ellen, Impression Obsession and Avery Elle; orange hemp twine
 

13 comments:

Canonbury creations said...

Fab card Rosie, love the inky background and your handmade stamp! Two techniques I've not tried, not a messy crafter!
Val x

Tammy Hershberger said...

This is utterly fantastic, and SO creative! The feather looks terrific, and the sentiment die is great over the orange hemp! So glad to have you join us this week... you rocked the colors!

walchowDesign said...

You are a genius that you created your own stamp, Rosemary! Love the soft watercoloured bg with some sprinkles on it. The sentiments with the contrasting twine matches beautifully together!

Martha said...

WOW...WOW...Rosemary, this is so creative, artistic, & beautiful!
Love the fabulous background & design.
Beautifully done!

Broni said...

Wow, Rosi! Your card is so beautiful! LOVE that surreal watercolored background!

Lisa Elton said...

The two days were worth it Rosemary, this is incredible!! Love your creative feather stamp, the little splatters and wooden stars. Fantastic card!!

Vickie Z said...

I love it!! Fun background and love the die cut sentiments!! Great use of the colors!!

Wanda Cullen said...

Wow, what a fabulous background and kudos for your patience in waiting so long! I just blow mine dry with my heat gun because I don't like to wait - lol!

Greta said...

Absolute masterpiece, my friend! Wowzer!

Meihsia Liu said...

Such a gorgeous card! Love the beautiful background. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

Barb Ghig said...

Awesome background and I love how you played with this color palette, Rosemary! Love, love, love this die cut sentiment, too! Beautiful card!

Anita in France said...

That's such a gorgeous background, Rosemary ... what a brilliant idea for the feather ... the soft effect is just lovely! Hugs, Anita :)

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh Rosemary, this is such a clever and beautifully colored design! Simply beautiful!